Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Word on Red Lipsticks

Taking my cue for Karen at The Makeup and Beauty Blog, I've been spending some time this week considering red lipsticks. Namely, why I don't own many of them. Now, it's not like I don't enjoy red--it's one of my favorite colors--or that I don't think I can pull off red lips--I know I can. Honestly, when I think of red lipstick I think of supreme confidence, and that's just not something I feel I have when it comes to my physical appearance.

This isn't to say that I don't like the way I look. I do. I'm never going to be show-stoppingly gorgeous, but I'm both old and wise enough to know that doesn't really matter. So where does this lack of red lipstick-level confidence come from? "Society" is too easy and flippant an answer, and it's also really not true.

I don't know that I have an answer to this question yet, but I'm going to keep pondering it. In the meantime, I'm going to make a point of buying and using more red lip colors--in this case, seeing may be believing.


NARS lipstick in Flamenco pictured.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I think red is a "va-va voom" shade, one worn by women who make bold style statements (like Gwen Stefani and Dita Von Teese). I remember when I was a teen, I would buy red lipsticks and stash them in a drawer, never really wearing them. It's definitely a "notice me" shade. It took me some time to work up the courage to wear red, but now I can't get enough of the color. :)

    ReplyDelete